Doctor Wes
Doctor Wes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Graduate of the University of Wisconsin VMTH. Small animal companion medicine/surgery exclusive.

My cat has mucus drooling from its mouth! What is this

Customer Question

My cat has mucus drooling from it's mouth! What is this???
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor Wes replied 4 years ago.
Customer
Hello. Can you please tell me the age of your cat and if you have ever noticed this before. Also, are you currently giving your cat any medications, specifically via the mouth to administer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Catis 5 yrs old .. NO prescriptions! Just started this mucus drooling a few days ago ...
Thank you for the information. This has been going on for days? Can you tell me if he/she has been persistently doing it for days, and if so how many days?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it comes and goes ... for one week .. nothing for 2 days, then starts again ...
Customer
I would explore two options at this time. First thing is to rule out an infected tooth. If you can look at the inside of the mouth and look at the gum lines and examine for red inflamed gums, areas that look swollen, or really bad breath. If that all looks good, next is to look around the house for anything that may be getting licked or chewed. Common things are plants and electrical cords. If you have any doubts about the inside of the mouth, take in for an appointment at your convenience. If you find items that are getting chewed, simply remove the source and the drooling should stop within a day. Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Doctor Wes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Graduate of the University of Wisconsin VMTH. Small animal companion medicine/surgery exclusive.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There are NO plants in my house, and nothing is being chewed. His teeth and gums look fine and his breath seems to be OK.

Guess my only option is a qualified vet.

Thanks for trying.

You are speaking to a qualified veterinarian whom is not able to examine your cat except by what you can type on your keyboard and relate to me. I would recommend, since you have explored the two options, scheduling an appointment to have your cat looked at.
Customer
If you have any questions over the extended weekend or before your appointment, please let me know and I will try to assist you.