Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

my cat has recently started pooping with slimy blood in it

my cat has recently started pooping with slimy blood in it all over the place. she also has had some diarrhea and im not sure what going on. she is a manx. she just started having this problem. help. i dont see worms at al in her stool
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 7 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of this situation:

• When did the problem start?
  • Has she lost any weight, had any vomiting or had lack of appetite?
  • Does the slimy stool and blood come and go or is it constant?
  • Is she indoor or outdoor?
  • Any changes in her diet lately?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it started about no more than a month ago. she hasnt lost any weight. maybe a small amount of vomiting but no lack of appetite.

about everytime she goes its bloody and slimy. we find it everywhere. shes an indoor cat. we got the same food as we always have
One more question. How old is she?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she is 2 years old

Thank you for the information. There are several possible causes for blood in the stool under these circumstances:

• Intestinal parasites such as giardia, coccidia and hookworms. These parasites cause irritation to the lining of the colon and in the case of the hookworm actually latch on to the inside of the intestine and suck blood. Giardia in particular can be contagious to humans. Since she is indoor it is highly unlikely that parasties are the cause, however you will not be able to see them in the stool so it would best to have a fecal test done by your vet just in case. Here's a link:
    http://www.petplace.com/cats/intestinal-parasites-in-cats/page1.aspx
  • Colitis can cause blood in the stool. It is usually caused by stress, diet changes or sometimes the cause is not determined. The wall of the colon becomes inflamed and seeps mucous and blood. Medications are usually necessary to prevent the situation from worsening. If there has been an increase in her stress level that could cause it. Here's a link:
    http://www.petplace.com/cats/colitis-in-cats/page1.aspx
  • Inflammatory Bowel Disease- Inflammation of the wall of the intestine will cause a decreased capacity to digest food leading to malnourishment. Symptoms include diarrhea, weight loss and vomiting. This is sometimes caused by a food allergy. Diagnosis is usually made with an intestinal biopsy but many times treatment is prescribed to monitor for improvement. Treatment usually involves steroids, diet changes and sometimes antibiotics. A reaction to diet is a very common cause, even if she is eating the same food she has always eaten. I would recommend finding a diet that has an ingredient list that is as different as possible from what she is currently eating (prescription diets are also possible). The new diet is fed for 4-10 weeks and nothing else can be fed during that time (including treats). If she improves then you know it was something in her previous diet she was reacting to. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/cats/inflammatory-bowel-disease-in-cats/page1.aspx

If you have more questions please let me know. You can try yogurt in her diet to help the stool but that won't fix the underlying problem.