Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior

I think my cat drank some antifreeze yesterday. Today, I found

Customer Question

I think my cat drank some antifreeze yesterday. Today, I found her lying in a shady spot taking short, labored breaths. Is there anything I can do to help her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 7 years ago.

This is Dr.Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will give me a clearer picture of what's going on.

• Has she had any vomiting that you can tell?
  • Was she showing any symptoms yesterday such as stumbling, acting drunk or seizures?
  • Was there antifreeze around for her to get in to?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No vomiting that I have noticed(she's an outdoor cat).

Yesterday there was no problems except an occasional hack, like a hairball hack.

Yes. I was flushing my system and she came sniffing around. I thought I shooed her away in time, but now I'm not so sure.
Antifreeze typically starts as vomiting and staggering in the first stage right after ingestion. As the antifreeze is metabolized and broke down by the body the cat can actually act normal. Then the products of the breakdown of the antifreeze cause kidney failure and then death. In the last stage there is vomiting, severe lethargy, coma and the inability to move. In this case antifreeze could be possible but there are numerous other problems that are also possible. A blood test for antifreeze would probably be negative but increased kidney values due to the kidney failure should show up on bloodwork. Unfortunately, once the kidney failure occurs there is very little that can be done to reverse the damage and death is usually inevitable. In this case it would be best to have her checked by a vet immediately in case it is not antifreeze and is instead something that can be treated. If you have more questions please let me know.