Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

my cat isnt eating or drinking after being neutered

My cat was neutered about 4 days ago. He was fine the first day after being neutered, but threw up the following two days. I took him to the vet , she took x-rays and gave him liquids to hydrate him/or and break anything that possibly could be creating a blockage. He stopped throwing up, but his appetite has been cut in half. He's sleeping more and eating and drinking less. Is this normal or just the effect of the procedure or stress of the procedure? Should I not worry that he's eating less as long as he's eating?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.

It's not uncommon to be a little lethargic and have a decreased appetite following a surgery. If he is not on any pain meds then I may consider treating with something like Buprenex in case it's pain that's making him not want to walk around or go to the food bowl to eat.

I'm not terribly concerned as long as he's eating something and keeping it down. If he were completely anorexic then I'd be more concerned and probably want to treat more aggressively. The inflammatory stages of healing are days 3-5 and that is the most painful period so I would guess that in 1-2 days from now he'll bounce back and start acting more like himself. The main goal is to make sure he's staying hydrated and continues to eat/ drink some. You can also try some canned food to increase his water intake and also get some more calories into him.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He's sleeping more often, but is capable of walking around and being playful. I've bought canned food for him, however, I literally have to take a teaspoon and encourage him to eat several times a day or he just won't. I guess
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll keep on doing that for a couple of more days and hope he bounces back. Could he have eaten something bad to turn him off food? I had a vase of flowers that I didn't realize he was chewing on. Might've chewed on a small amount.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.
Yes it could definitely be from chewing on flowers, many plants will cause an irritation to the GI tract and vomiting/ GI upset. If there were any lilies in the flowers then this could be more serious as they can cause kidney failure in cats. I would make sure of what kind of flowers and if you know of any lilies then get him in right away to check kidney enzymes- kidney failure of this type is reversible if caught early enough and put on IV fluids.

Good job with offering him multiple foods and trying to get him to eat/ drink- anything you can to get some nutrition and fluids in him is only going to help.

I would probably call your vet today and just mention what's going on so they have a record of it and they may also have some suggestions to get him back on track.

Best of luck,