Drt4Mom
Drt4Mom, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have practiced Veterinary Medicine and surgery for 13. With an focus on small animals.
18936956

cat: rub..carpeting and walks..her 2 front paws dragging her back legs

what makes a cat rub her rear on carpeting and walks on her 2 front paws dragging her back legs
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drt4Mom replied 5 years ago.
Is she doing this all the time or only occasionally?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She does this 3-4 times a week. She rubs her rear on the carpet holding her back legs stiff and dragging her rear while walking with her 2 front paws. She stops when we yell. There is a TV commercial about a dog that does this and its always followed up with having the carpets cleaned. I don't know if she has worms. She stays inside 50% of the time. She was an alley cat & we took her when she was a kitten. She has been neutered and had shots only 1 time in 3 yrs. She does not throw up. Our other major problem is her hair clumping on her back almost looks like she is growing another tail. She does not want to be touched on that part of her back. But I hate the rubbing her rear on the carpeting..anything you can advise would be appreciated. We want to take her to the vet but she runs when anyone appraoches her other than the 2 of us.
Expert:  Drt4Mom replied 5 years ago.

The reason she is doing this is her rear, belly itch. This can be due to fleas, worms, diet , or the glands around her rectum being full. The hair clumping on her back again can mean that she is scratching this area. If the problem is fleas of course you may be able to take care of this with an over the counter product specifically labeled for cats. If she has other problems like allergies a skin infection diarrhea or impacted glands she will need to see the vet.

If you have more questions let me know.

If I have helped please hit the Accept tab.

Good Luck

Dr. T

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Fleas are not a problem. We live in Las Vegas and fleas are not a problem in the hard desert sand. The "clumps" on her back are ugly. Almost looks like she is growing a second or third tale. She eats sparinly. Will only eat the gravy in a can of cat food. Likes bags of hard food, eats table scraps and drinks milk. Is milk good for cats? I guess I'm just worried about what she is rubbing in the carpeting.
Expert:  Drt4Mom replied 5 years ago.

If you live in Las Vegas, I guess fleas are not a problem. I'm jealous.

It is hard to say what she is rubbing into the carpet. It depends on what is making her itch. If the itching itself is not a problem, than You could wait and discuss the hair clumps with the vet at her next appointment for shots. (One less trip to the vet). Do watch for sores forming under the hair clump.

The TV commercial is trying to get the consumer to think the puppy is using the carpet as its toilet paper. If every time your cat or dog scooted you had the carpet cleaned. Your carpet would ware out in 2-3 years.

Also if the milk is not causing diarrhea than it is OK for her. Not all cats can drink milk.

I hope I have covered all of your question . If not let me know.

Drt4Mom, Veterinarian
Experience: I have practiced Veterinary Medicine and surgery for 13. With an focus on small animals.