CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

how do you stop a cat from peeing on blankets and personal

how do you stop a cat from peeing on blankets and personal items? He will come up on my lap and pee. There is another cat in the house, but they get along well. Is an inside cat and never goes outside. They have their own litter boxes.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

How old is your cat that is doing this?

How long has this been going on?

Otherwise eating and drinking well?

Drinking more than usual?

Weight loss?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

5 or 6

3 or 4 years

Hi there,

Whenever I have a case such as this, the question is - why are they not using the litterbox, or urinating outside the litterbox on personal items, etc. there an underlying cause or is this just bad behavior.

Unfortunately, there is no "bad behavior" test. This is a diagnosis of exclusion - meaning that you need to make sure there is not an underlying cause:

Underlying causes may include:
- Urinary tract infection
- Sterile inflammation of the bladder (Sterile cystitis)
- Bladder stones
- Diabetes
- Kidney infection, or kidney disease
- Etc.

While these are tests to consider
- Evaluation of the urine for crystals or bacteria
- Bloodwork - to look at the cell counts, organ values, and blood sugar
- X-rays - to look for bladder stones

Based on your history - I think this is likely to be a behavioral problem more than anything else considering the longevity of the signs - but of course could not be 100% sure without my own examination and the tests to rule-out other causes.

Options that you can try at home if not already considered:

You can consider adding a litterbox in the house (in general when there are issues such as this, the recommendation is to have 1 more litterbox than the number of cats in the house)

You can also add different types of litter in the house (clumping vs non clumping, scented vs unscented)

I have clients that have used this product (Feliway) which emits phermones/hormones that are supposed to decrease stress in cats. Some have had great experience with this.

If this does not work, and/or the problem gets worse, and there is not underlying cause, there are medications - such as prozac - but I tend not to use them until I have really tried all other options...

I hope this information helps :) Please let me know if you have other questions...
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.