Drt4Mom, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have practiced Veterinary Medicine and surgery for 13. With an focus on small animals.

my cat has developed a bald patch on his back between his shoulder

my cat has developed a bald patch on his back between his shoulder blades. The hair around it appears normal as does the skin of the bald patch. Nothing red, scaly or crusty. No signs of inflammation at all. He's eating well and doesn't appear to find it sore on touching. We first noticed it a couple of weeks ago and it has got a little bigger but not at an alarming rate. He is 15 or 16 yrs old.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drt4Mom replied 7 years ago.
Have you put any flea/tick preventative on the can in las couple of weeks?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I haven't put anything on his skin ever as I have heard mixed reports about that form of flea/tick medicine application.
Expert:  Drt4Mom replied 7 years ago.

Most of what you have heard are about the active ingredient causing neurological problems. Or using a dog product on a cat. These are mostly the OTC products.

Just a bit of education. I'll get off the soap box now.

As for your cat. You say the skin does not seem red, tender. or crusty. Does it feel thicker than other skin? Feel an area on his back away from the bald spot.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it doesn't feel thicker.
Expert:  Drt4Mom replied 7 years ago.

Is he and insidecat outside cat or a combination of both?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is an outside cat. Sleeps in a shed. Eats outside. Food not left sitting. No change in eating habits. Has not changed his demeanour over the last few weeks.
Expert:  Drt4Mom replied 7 years ago.

If the skin is not inflamed, his eating habits and demeanor have not changed, we can probably rule out an infectious or toxic cause.

We are probable dealing with something in the environment. I have seen this with cat (and dogs) going under cars fences and sheds. They catch the hair as they pass under what ever is the want to get through. The only way to tell is to look for hair still caught on the offending object

The one other option and it still doesn't fit is a skin tumor seen in older cats. This usually occurs in the area you mention. The cats develop bald spots and the skin becomes moist red and tender. They develop bumpy tumors under the skin. The thought is that it is a reaction to vaccination being given all in the same area. This is why most vets will now separate the sites where the vaccine in injects.

If you notice any of these symptoms. Please get him to the local vet right away.

I hope I was of some help.

If you have any other questions let me know.

If I have helped, please hit the Accept tab.