Drt4Mom, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have practiced Veterinary Medicine and surgery for 13. With an focus on small animals.

Can cats be affected by altitude sickness We have taken our

Can cats be affected by altitude sickness? We have taken our 2 cats to the Sierras with us 3 previous times and most of the time all went well. However, last year, I gave them each a mild sedative (from my vet) to keep them calm for the drive home. They mostly meowed a lot, but that's pretty typical because they usually become calm after awhile. Our male continued to meow when we got home and appeared to be bothered by something for a few hours. He ate a LOT, would meow softly from time to time, seemed restless, but didn't really appear to be in any pain. If things hadn't changed, I was ready to take him to the vet. The next day he was perfectly fine. I attributed his behavior to the sedative that I had given him since I had never given him one before. Could it have been the altitude?

Thank you,

P.S. We're planning on going again soon and would like to take our babies with us.
I think your first instinct was correct. The sedative you gave the cats affected him differently the other cat. Altitude sickness usually consists of a headache and restlessness that will resolve shortly after coming back down to a more normal altitude for that individual. I would restrain for the use of the sedative on him. I have seen similar symptoms in animals treated with Acepromazine. There are usually no long term problems.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Because our pets health is of the utmost importance to us, your answer really does make me feel better.....very professional and helpful! Again, thanks!

My pleasure