Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 10 yr old cat is bound up she has poop stuck & I cant get

My 10 yr old cat is bound up she has poop stuck & I can't get it out. can this kill her what do I do give her a laxitive & what kind. what do I do. I'm at work and worry when I get home
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your 10 year old girl who seems to be a little constipated! If you are relatively definite that your cat is constipated and that she is not in fact having trouble urinating, then we can definitely give your cat something. We do have to be sure that she doesn't have cystitis - in which it would look like your cat is constipated when in fact she is having trouble urinating. However, it definitely sounds as though you are thinking along the right line. She is unlikely to die from this in the short term, but we definitely need to unclog her in the next 12 - 24 hours. If she doesn't have any luck by this time, you will need to take her to the Vet for sedation and a full enema.

If you are sure your cat is constipated then you will be able to relieve this for your her by given a teaspoon of parafin oil or lactulose syrup on her food once daily for the next week. You can also use a product called Microlax available from most drug stores, however you must be VERY careful when using this. This is a suppository that must be carefully inserted into your girls rectum using plenty of lubricant and then the product squeezed out. You would then notice she defecates within 10 - 15 minutes relieving any constipation. You may be a lot better off leaving your Vet to do this for your however.

If you think your cat might actually have cystitis then definitely get her to your Vet when you next can in order to get her urine tested and to get some treatment. Likewise if you try the above and she still has pooped in the next 12 - 24 hours, then you will need to get her to your Vet for sedation and a full enema.

Best of luck with your cat and please keep me up to date with how you progress.

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know she is bound up with poop as her anes is wide open but I tried vaseline and papertowels but only got a couple clup off. Can cystitis ack the same? I know I won't get a spository up her.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.

Hi again,

Yes, it definitely sounds like a constipation problem! It really does sound like she is bunged up pretty badly. It can't be quite tricky getting a suppository into a cat, so we will leave this to your Vet. Try giving her a couple of teaspoons of cooking oil tonight, however I don't think this will have much effect at this stage from what you have told me in your reply, so if you can get your girl to the Vet tomorrow for a sedation and full enema, this would be ideal. In the mean time, just keep her quiet and as comfortable as you can for tonight.

Best of luck and just reply if I can help further.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards