Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

we got home and one of cats eyes is half shut, inner eye lid

we got home and one of cat's eyes is half shut, inner eye lid is up and some watering. should we wait and see what develops or go to the vet straight away?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your cat who has as sore eye! Although there are a number of things that could be going on here, it sounds as though this kitty may have damaged the surface of the eye (the cornea), or otherwise he or she may have a foreign body lodged behind the third (inner) eyelid. If you think this kitty is painful and/or is pawing at the affected eye then it would be good to get this problem seen to tonight. If he or she isn't too sore, then you can safely wait until tomorrow for a Vet visit. Here your Vet will put some dye into the eye to check for a corneal ulcer as well as putting some local anaesthetic into the eye to check behind the third eyelid for any foreign bodies. Treatment will depend on what is found.

Best of luck with this kitty and just reply if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. He was fine when we left this morning but may have had a fight while we were out as trouble has been brewing for a couple of days with a neighboring cat.
He doesn't seem at all bothered by the eye and hates vet visits. Do you think it's essential to make a visit tomorrow or can I wait a couple of days to see if it gets better?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

If he is still squinting with his third eyelid up tomorrow then he most likely has a corneal scratch from the other cat in which case you really will need to take him to the Vet tomorrow for assessment and treatment. Treatment usually involves antibiotic eye drops for 8 - 9 days, an antiinflammatory and sometimes even systemic antibiotics and a E-collar to stop your boy from rubbing the eye!

See how he is in the morning and if he seems to have improved then you can wait to see what happens over the next few days.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc