CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My cat has been sneezing and green snot is coming out of his

My cat has been sneezing and green snot is coming out of his nose. I've taken him to the vet several times and he has taken different antibiotics and last time was given an allergy shot. The vet thought is was allergies. In the last month he now has discharge that is coming out of his eyes. It is often just clear but the other day I noticed that there was what looked liked a trace of blood. His eyes are red and he just looks miserable. What could all of this be? Should I take him back to the vet? Is he ever going to be normal?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

How old is your cat?

Up to date on vaccines?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My cat is three years old and is up to date on vaccines.
Hi there,

My suspicion is that your description fits well with signs of a Feline Upper Respiratory Infection. While other causes such as rhinitis, cancer, allergies (unlikley), etc. can be possible, most often a URI is the most likely cause.

Cats commonly get viruses - we tend to group this into the category of feline (cat) upper respiratory infections. Similar to the herpes virus / cold sores - in people - we tend to see this when a cat is stressed...in your case this may have been the move.

Common signs of a cat upper respiratory infection include:
- Sneezing
- Nasal Discharge
- Ocular discharge (one or both)
- Even decreased appetite, lethargy and vomiting.

Although it is usually a viral cause - it can lead to a secondary bacterial infection.

For this reason - your cat may again need antibiotics systemically.

The other option to discuss with your veterinarian is Lysine. This is a common addition to the therapy for cats with upper respiratory infections. The lysine stops the virus from replicating and therefore allows the immune system to better fight the infection.

I usually suggest that cats be given 250mg twice daily for 3 weeks.
You can read more about Lysine here:
http://www.thensome.com/herpes.htm

_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you have any suggestions about how to give a cat a pill when they don't want to take one? Cooper is very sneaky and often times doesn't swallow the pill.
Some of the Lysine preparations actually come in a powder form that you can sprinkle on their food! Those are the ones I recommend.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist