Dr. Duncan
Dr. Duncan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from UF, Internship in Surgery and Internal Med; ER vet; 11 years of veterinary experience
14919115

The skin around my cats eyes looks very raw and irritated. Mostly

The skin around my cat's eyes looks very raw and irritated.
Mostly in the corners near the nose and the lower lids.
What do you think I can do to help him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Duncan replied 5 years ago.
Hi Maureen,
Did this problem just arise?
What breed of cat do you have and how old is he or she?
Are his/her eyes watering excessively and/or do his/her eyes appear reddened or abnormal in your opinion?
Is he/she on any medications?
Are there any past medical problems with your cat?

Thanks,
Dr. Duncan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI Dr. Duncan,
I just adopted this cat about 2 months ago.
He is about 8 years old, a very long haired orange beauty.
Actually never saw a cat that looks like him before. Sort of Maine Coon (ish)

I just noticed this skin irritation (outside of both eyes), on the lids around both eyes and all the skin around the eyes. The corners and lower. Not above his eyes.    It looks like a weeping eczema.

He is not on any medications.
His eyes are not watery at all.
And his eyes look healthy and clear.
He doesn't seem bothered at all, but cats tolerate a lot don't they!

Thank you for your help.
Maureen
HiCustomer
I am concerned about a few possible causes of the skin irritation you are seeing. The first would be a parasite infestation (such as mites or ringworm). A skin scrape and a culture for ringworm fungus would need to be performed by your vet in order to look at the skin cells under the microscope and determine if there is evidence of parasite infestation. The next possibility is an auto-immune skin disease called pemphigus which can show up in any age cat and can cause skin lesions around the face, abdomen and/or nail beds. This disease can also (often) be diagnosed with a skin scrape but sometimes skin biopsies are needed to make an absolute determination.
The next possible cause would be an allergy to something in his environment. In particular food allergy can cause profound skin lesions (usually these areas are very itchy however). Food allergy can arise in any age pet and is most common in pets that have been fed the same food for an extended period of time, but can happen at any time.
The last possible cause unfortunately could be a form of skin cancer. Usually biopsies are needed to make a determination if this is the case.
With any of the possible causes I've mentioned, there can be bacterial or yeast infection of the skin playing a role in the signs you are seeing which would require treatment with antibiotics and/or antifungal respectively.
I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions on any of these topics. I'll be curious to see what the vet finds.
Best,
Dr. Duncan
Dr. Duncan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from UF, Internship in Surgery and Internal Med; ER vet; 11 years of veterinary experience