CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

Can a cat be given Imodium A-D for diarrhea I think it started

Can a cat be given Imodium A-D for diarrhea? I think it started to occur from a change of food. Only feeding her the dry food right now and it seems that a more solid stool is starting to form. She's not using her litter box since she started having loose stools today. I know last year I had a very sick old dog this happened to and my vet told me to go to the drugstore to get this so I could get her diarrhea to stop enough to get her to his office. If it is ok to use I have a syringe that the pharmacist gave me to measure the dosage for my dog last year. The cat weighs about 8 lbs, what would the dosage be? Thanks.
Hi there,

For a cat of this size, you can attempt to give 1/2 of a 2mg tablet, so 1mg.

A side effect for this medication in cats (but not dogs) is extreme excitement. Theoretically, it can also lead to constipation.

I would not give more than 2 doses (1 dose every 12 hours).

If the diarrhea continues, your veterinarian can prescribe safer medication and even look for an underlying cause for persistent diarrhea.

I hope this helps.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.