Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario

my cat has little black spots on his gums,was he born with

my cat has little black spots on his gums,was he born with them?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you and your cat with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How old is your cat?

Is there any redness where the tooth and gum meet, like this:

Or do the black spots look more like this:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr. he is about 3 yrs old, and they look like the bottom picture
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.
It is hard for me to know without seeing him, but what you are describing sounds like totally normal pigment (freckles) that many cats are born with.

We can see black areas on the gums normally. If they are raised bumps then I would want to check them, but if they are smooth and flat, just like a freckle on your arm, then they are almost certainly normal mouth freckles on your cat!

We see this more in cats that have black in their coat, but it can be in any cat.

I hope that this answers your question!

If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.