CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My cats eye is closed and watering. He is an indoor cat. We

My cat's eye is closed and watering. He is an indoor cat. We noticed this right after he tossed around with our other cat, yesterday afternoon. Any ideas. He won't let me look at it. Is it possible his eye is puncture do the the other cat biting him or could it be some dirt in his eye. What can I do to keep him comfortable until we get to our vet
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Is it just 1 eye?

Eating and Drinking?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes just one eye. No problem with eating and water. But does appear listless, only 3 years old.
Hi there,

Welcome to - and thanks for your post!

Based on your description, possible causes for the red eye may include:

- Trauma
- Uveitis (inflammation)
- Infection
- Corneal ulcer or abrasion
- Tear formation problem
- etc

When I am presented with a case such as this, tests that I would consider include:
- Using a special test to see if there is corneal damage (Fluoroscein)
- Measuring the pressure in the eye to test for glaucoma
- Looking into the eye with a light and a special lens to look at the retina

In an ideal world - I would recommend a visit to the ER if your vet is not open as diagnosis and early treatment would be best. Until you are able to make an appointment or see a veterinarian, here are some home therapies you can try:

One recommendation is to try to warm compress the closed eye area with a clean, damp, warm cloth. This will help break up and remove crusted/dry debris, and also help with inflammation in the area.

The second recommendation is to try to flush the eyes with a sterile saline solution. I am referring to a normal, over the counter saline solution commonly found in the same aisle of the grocery story or drugstore as contact solution.

The final at home remedy would be to purchase an e-collar from your local pet store. If he continues to paw and rub the eye, he can actually make it worse, potentially even scratching his own eye accidentally!

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.