Dr. Diane
Dr. Diane, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience small animal medicine, surgery, and emergency medicine.
47858

I think my cat got into motor oil and is now acting fatigu

I think my cat got into motor oil and is now acting fatigued

You may see GI upset with ingestion. Small exposures would have mild signs. Worst case scenario would be if the animal vomits or is induced to vomit and aspirates the oil.

With an ingestion, no specific treatment needed. Monitor for stomach upset and respiratory signs if pet vomits.

If your cat got motor oil on it's skin, you should wash it off. Use pet shampoo or dawn dishwashing liquid.

If there is a possibility that you cat may have ingested any antifreeze, however, then it is a different situation entirely and you need to get your cat to a vet ASAP!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My cat won't drink water just a little bit of milk and a little bit of wet food.... She has vomited but no motor oil is in it! Should I just monitor her food and liquid intake and see if she improves because she doesn't want to do much?
Yes, you can monitor her carefully and also watch her breathing in case she aspirated any motor oil when she vomited. If there is any doubt about antifreeze, take her in anyway. Good luck!