Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Are human probiotics safe for cats Im having a hard time

Are human probiotics safe for cats? I'm having a hard time finding probiotics for felines. My cat suffers from IBS and I'm hoping the probiotics will help rather than another visit to the vet which has been inclusive so far (their diagnosis IBS) and traumatic to my cat who still hides from me when she hears me get home from work or when I deviate from my normal dressing routine, thinking I'm going to grab her and take her back to the vet.
Human probiotics are considered safe for cats, but of questionable effectiveness. Your best bet for a probiotic is Purina FortiFlora for cats, which will have the proper types of bacteria that will help a cat's digestive tract.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you know if FortiFlora is sold w/o a vet prescription? Thanks!
It's sold only through veterinarians as far as I know, but I don't believe it's technically a prescription product. It's kind of a gray area, to be honest. You may need to call around to a few vets to see if any will sell it without an exam.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You indicated it is of questionable effectiveness. Do you recommend anything else?
*human* probiotics are of questionable effectiveness, because of the differing bacterial content in human intestines vs cat intestines.

Feline probiotics are a safe, effective way of helping to normalize intestinal health.