Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My cat has a black spot on the roof of his mouth, just behind

My cat has a black spot on the roof of his mouth, just behind the front teeth and two smaller on his tongue for several days. He will drink but refuses solid food, even canned. He appears to be drooing a litte.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer. Can you help me with a couple questions?
1) How old is your cat?
2) How long have the black spots been there?
3) How long has he not been eating?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is 11years old. I just noticed the black spots when I noticed he was drooling, so about 24 hours. Since he started drooling, he will only drink. no fever, vomiting, diarrhea, and no one else is sick.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
I would be very suspicious that the drooling you're seeing is an indication of oral irritation. Some cats drool when they are nauseated, but in those cases they are usually not drinking as well as not eating.

When I have an older cat come into my clinic that isn't eating well and is not eating - I get very curious of severe dental disease. The spots that you are seeing could be associated with dental disease or they could be separate. Other pigmented lesions that can occur in the mouth are melanomas and ulcers.

To be honest, I think that the best thing to do in this case would be to get your little one to your vet so they can physically exam the oral cavity. That way the lesions can be evaluated and then a treatment plan can be put in place and implemented.

To be honest, the black spots most likely are normal areas of pigmentation that have just gone unnoticed up to this point in time. The drooling again is most likely due to dental disease..

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian