Doctor GF
Doctor GF, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate, caring and practical. 20 yrs of private practice experience.

My cat is drooling, like thick mucous stuff what it that?

Hello Customer,

Thanks for the question.

Can I ask you a couple things?

Anything they could have gotten into?

Dr. GF

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is approx. 5 years old strictly indoor and due to my own chemical sensitivities I don't have many "real" chemicals in the house. Those I do have are locked in cabinets. No house plants, and her diet has not changed.

She has been losing condition of late but eating like a horse, although she does have trouble chewing and just yesterday did this funny thing like achaachhch with her mouth and jaw...then she started drooling. But she does still eat

OK. Thanks.

Since our exposure is limited, there are a couple things to think about.

1. Dental disease-build up of tartar can lead to gingivitis and tooth root exposure. That can cause excess saliva and chattering of the jaw due to discomfort-would also fit with the trouble chewing. Could have also broke a tooth or something.

2.Nausea from stomach problem, liver, kidney, diabetes-the loss of conditioning makes you look at these things-although she is only 5 yrs old...if the exam of the mouth looks fine then blood work would be in order.

3. Something irritating to the mouth-much less likely in your situation-organophosphates used for insect control etc could cause this-rinsing the mouth out well with water would help and certainly couldn't hurt.

At home you could rinse the mouth well and try and get a good look at the teeth. Otherwise she needs seen by a vet for a thorough exam and possibly blood work, fecal exam. I hope that gives you some guidance.

Dr. GF

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dear Sir,

Her mouth is in pretty good shape...before she started this she only ate dry food. Are there any infectious diseases that have similar symptoms? The reason I ask, and the reason I am reluctant to go to a veterary at this time is because I am afraid she has very similar symptoms to a kitty my sister had. She took that cat to at least 4 veternarys (that I know of) spent thousands of dollars...and they never figured it out.. I love my cat but I don't have thousands of dollars. I was hoping that...well I might get lucky and find someone who would recognize a known pattern... I am sorry I didn't tell you that from the first.

No problem. I under stand your concerns. Drooling is not associated with any specific disease except severe(virulent) calici virus infections. That is an upper rspiratory and presents with severe congestion, ulcers of the nose and mouth and even feet. If your cat had would know it. They are severly ill and quick. I don't think thats the case here.

If her mouth looks fine and she is eating and drinking then I don't think you have an emergency here. Make sure you look on the roof of the mouth, under the tongue etc so that she doesn't have something stuckin her mouth. If not then rinse her mouth with water and wtach her. if it is persisting then get her checked. Remember though, you make the decision as to what you want to test for etc. Base your decision on what she is doing otherwise. If she seems fine otherwise then it's not a huge deal. If she's losing weight, not eating, vomiting....then you need to have her checked.

Dr. GF

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dear Sir
Is there a specific conclusive test for calici virus infections? Although it "presents with severe congestion, ulcers of the nose and mouth and even feet." and she is not currently suffering such. And although she was vaccinated against this; looking into it online it does seem eerily similar to what my sisters cat had (at least the "wet form" does). Also noticed that it can be transmitted even indirectly and the virus can live for multiple years on furniture etc... I realize there is no cure, but I would really like a conclusive answer when I bring her in. This really does seem closer to a real answer than my sister ever got with her kitty. I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this...I do value your time and will be accepting your answer.

There are a lack of specific tests for VS-FCV at this time. Virus isolation, polymerase chain reaction(PCR) and immunohistological stainging have been used with a 50-60% success rate. The problem is that a positive test could mean they were exposed to the routine FCV that we vaccinate for or the VS-FCV. There is no way to tell the difference. The best advice I can give you about VS-FCV is to have your vet contact the laboratories that they send samples to and ask what they can perform and what the meaning of a positive test would be. Many research studies are trying to figure alot of this out right now. New tests become available every day but you have to assess what the results actually mean. For example feline corona virus testing for FIP gives us very little information toward making a diagnosis. The test exists but is used infrequently due to poor reliability. I hope you can get an answer. Good Luck.

Dr. GF

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dear Sir,

It becomes clear why my sister spent so much and yet still never got a conclusive answer. We are so very used to our doctors and professionals clearly stating "this is what it is! And this is how we treat it" that we forget the fact that these things can be so elusive. And bloody frustrating. Even though we do everything to protect them; vaccinations, keeping them indoors, good diets, and lots of love, stupid things like this get in. Would it be heretical to suggest that the vacination was the source....(tho not likely in this case since my sisters cat suffered similar symptoms)

Thank you for your time. Please continue to work toward the answers!

Possible but highly unlikely since many cases that are seen in shelters are strays picked up and most likely had no recent vacciantion.

In veterinary medicine, if you are not learning and moving forward, you are falling behind. Every day has something new to offer.

Good Luck in your quest. I enjoyed our discussion!!

Dr. GF