UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  BVet Med MRCVS since 2004. Certificate in Veterinary Acupuncture

7 year old female cat excreted a jelly like blood substance

7 year old female cat excreted a jelly like blood substance through her bowel (on the floor instead of litter box). What could this be?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  UKVETJH replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Could I just ask for some more information:

Is there normal faeces being passed too?

Is she urinating ok?

Has she had any vomitting?

Is she eating normally?

Does she seem bright and alert?

Has she been wormed recently? How long ago and with what?

How much was present on the floor?

Does she seem to be straining to pass this stuff?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She has been passing faeces and urinating normally.

vomits from time to time but no more than normal; maybe 2 times per month.

she is eating normally and has been bright and alert - we see no behavioral changes

She gets a full wellnes physical annually - she is due again next month. She has not been wormed recently.

There was approximately a tablespoon of the substance which contained a little faeces as well as the jelly like substance with blood.

We didn't see her pass this and it has only occurred once.

Expert:  UKVETJH replied 5 years ago.

Hello there,

Thanks for the extra information.

The stuff othat your cat has produced sounds like mucus and some bleeding from the colon - a sympton of colitits. The colon is the area right at the end of the guts where faeces is formed and the water it contains absirbed to make a firm stool. The lining of the colon also produces mucus to lubricate the stool as it passes into the rectum and evetually out of the anus.

If the lining of the colon is inflamed then it tends to overproduce mucus and there can be the rupture of small capillaries in the wall of the gut that bleed a little. If the cat is healthy and happy otherwise then this is often something that resolves by itself with a bit of gentle feeding. If she vomits any more than is normal for her or goes off her food or becomes poorly then she will need a vet check but I would try to deal with it at home first. Tyhe key is feeding bland and gentle food little and often, to allow the guts to recover by having to do as little work as possible. Keep away from rich pouched or tinned food and I would avoid dry food for the moment. Feeding plain white fish or boiled chicken is probably the best thing, and in tiny meals of just a couple of teaspoons every few hours. Offer drinking water as normal. If the stools settle, then gradually introduce the normal food over the period of about 5 days.

If there is persistent blood in the stolls for more than a few days, then antibiotics may be needed, so pop to your vets for a check up. I would also recommend worming with a prescription wormer such as milbemax to rule out intestinal parasites.

I hope this helps,

Jen

UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience: BVet Med MRCVS since 2004. Certificate in Veterinary Acupuncture