CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my cat licks the concrete in the cellar

my cat licks the concrete in the cellar
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.

This behavior may be a sign of a systemic problem, or it may be nothing at all...

Some cats appreciate the taste of the concrete, especially if there is a salt flavoring to it. They can also do this from a purely behavioral standpoint.

The question remains - if there is a systemic reason for it, what could that be?
- Low red blood cell count - anemia. Cats with a low red blood cell count may lick or eat abnormal things such as dirt, or bricks and concrete. This is because the cat feels like there is an iron deficiency from lower than normal red blood cells.

If you have any suspicion that there may be a low red blood cell count (pale gums, lethargic, fast heart rate, fast breathing, etc.) then I would recommend making an appointment to see your veterinarian.

A quick blood test can look at the red blood cell count, and potentially look for other diseases such as feline leukemia or the feline immunodeficiency virus.

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.