Dr. Welton
Dr. Welton, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed small animal veterinarian since 2002. Practice owner since 2004.
1859647

My cat was bleeding from his mouth. I took him to the vet and

Customer Question

My cat was bleeding from his mouth for 2 days. I took him to the vet and they can't seem to find the cause, although he has been there 2 days now. They have ruled out leukemia. They have done xrays and say the chest and stomach is clear, and say he may need a transfusion because his blood count is 10, but say I may have to get a cat scan which is 1,000. Is there anything else I can do for him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Welton replied 5 years ago.
If there is blood emminating from your cat's mouth with out a specific source of bleeding, then he may have a coagulation disorder, where the clotting mechanism of the circulatory system does not work properly. This can be the result of autoimmune disease (disease where the immune system attakcs the body itself), certain types of infection, and cancer.

If a CT scan or MRI is not fincancially pheasible for you, I would attempt empirical treatent at this point, focusing on stabilizing the patient, quelling possible autimmune disease, and focusing on infections that may be implicated in this case.

First, I would get a whole blood transfusion ASAP. I start transfusions once they reach 12% on the packed cell volume, so by my criteria, the time for trafusion has already come. A whole blood transfusion would also provide clotting factors which may help toward stabilizing the patient.

Next, I would cover with either tetracycline or doxycycline, good broad spectrum antibiotics that are effective in managing many infections implicated in causing clotting issues. At the same time, I would start the patient on maintenance immune suppressive therapy with steroids in order to keep the immue system in check in the event that this it is the result of autoimmune disease. If there is underlying cancer, although this would make the prognosis poor, steroids also have strong anticancer properties, sometimes offering shortlived, but effective remission.

Please feel free to print this out and discuss my recommendations with your vet.   
Dr. Welton, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Licensed small animal veterinarian since 2002. Practice owner since 2004.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Welton,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will call my vet in the morning. I brought my cat home today, and they have given me pet-tinic iron to give him. He has bled a little since he has been home, but seems okay otherwise.

I hope that he gets better soon.

Have a great day.

Pet Tinic is a good idea, but with a PCV of 10%, there is still cause for concern. Good luck, and again, feel free to forward my recommendations to your vet.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took him to another vet. They gave him a transfusion, gave me prednisolone and doxycycline and it was working. No bleeding and he seemed to be better. Last night he started bleeding again, and this morning he passed away. I do thank you for all the help.
I am sorry for your loss. It was my pleasure to help in any way I could, and wish things turned out differently. Good luck to you.