Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My cat has a swollen area above her left eye. Its missing hair

My cat has a swollen area above her left eye. Its missing hair and has little red dots (like scabs). What is it?
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Did this come up suddenly ?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Scott

I noticed it the other day. We just got a new Russian Blue kitten who annoys her and plays a little rough. I thought she had a small scratch from him. But now the whole area around her eye is swollen. If you touch it, she pulls away fast, but doesn't growl or hiss (but then again, she is a very gentle cat.) The area around her eye has a lot less fur than the rest of her. It looks like the eye is half shut.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The most likely reason for the sudden appearance of a swollen area on your cat's face would be an abscess resulting from a bite from your new Russian Blue but a scratch could easily have caused it as well.

Cats are not the most sociable of creatures and they are prone to fighting, their canine teeth are long and sharp and covered with pyogenic [pus forming] bacteria. In fact when one cat bites another cat and really sinks its teeth in you can expect an abscess to form as a matter of course. This is such a common situation in a small animal vet's consulting room.

The usual treatment would be a course of antibiotics but some of them do need lancing under a general anaesthetic as well.

I am so sorry I cannot offer you any home remedy as prescription drugs such as antibiotics are very likely to be necessary. My advice to you is to visit your vet and have him or her check your cat out.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS