Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my cat drinks excessive amounts of water each day and urinates large amounts frequently.

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the question Dufferbill.

In direct answer to your question : Cats which are drinking a lot are always a cause for concern and this symptom will ring alarm bells in the mind of the average vet. There are a number of common disease processes which can cause this excess drinking. I will list some below :

1. Diabetes mellitus.

2. Diabetes Insipidus.

3. Kidney failure.

4. liver disease.

5. The above would be the most likely in my opinion but cats can also drink more from such things as anaemia, fevers, poisonings and more.

I am so sorry I cannot recommend any home remedy or procedure for your cat's problem because there is such a range of diagnosis. Accordingly my advice is that you should have your vet check your cat over, a simple blood test can check for most of these conditions.

I have found a link for you about excess drinking in the cat [ they call it polydipsia ] : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS