Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My cat smells like Urine

I have noticed in the past couple of months, that my cat smells like urine. She is using the litter box and doesn't appear to be in any pain when she urinates, so I have kind of ruled out a UTI. I am on disability and hoping to avoid a high vet bill if possible. It is her back end from about 3 inches ahead of her tail and back that smell. It is a really strong smell almost sickening at times. I know that cats are clean and have a good sence of smell, so I am not sure how she can stand the smell of herself. Any ideas? Some days are worse than others, and wondering if there is anything natural that I can give her to avoid taking her to the vet. My other cats are fine and all of the litter boxes are kept very clean. Not sure what to do.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 7 years ago.

HICustomer

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I am concerned about your kitty mainly because you are right, cats are very clean animals and usually do not let themselves smell poorly unless they are sick. I am concerned that she does in fact have a UTI as infected urine can often smell very strongly and a small amount on the skin can smell very bad. I also worry about urine scald, some cats who have either normal or infected urine and do not clean appropriately can have severe skin reactions and infections from the urine. This can smell like urine an actually be a painful skin infection. She won't usually act differently unless the affected area is touched which is why urine scald infections can go on a long time before their noticed. I know it's no fun to spend money but I think a urine evaluation and a physical exam are a really good idea before small problems turn in to big expensive ones. I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan