Doctor GF
Doctor GF, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate, caring and practical. 20 yrs of private practice experience.

My cat is going to the litter box a lot and licking himself.

My cat is going to the litter box a lot and licking himself. Could this be urinary or fecal?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor GF replied 7 years ago.
Hello Leslie,
Thanks for the question.
Actually it could be either but the most concerning would be urinary. Is he going at all? Is the litter wet? Male cats can develop a urinary tract infection just like other animals but the major concern is "blocking". Male cats can develop crystals in their urine and along with mucous plug the urethra so it is irritating and they cannot pee. This should be checked out today unless you are 100% sure that he is urinating fine. Hopefully it is just a UTI.
Good Luck.

If this has been helpful to you then please click the green accept button so that I may be credited for my time. If you have follow-up questions then click the reply button. As always, a thorough hands-on exam by a veterinarian is recommended. I am only providing you with my opinion based on the information you have provided. Legally, I can not prescribe federally regulated medications or diagnose your pet’s condition without an examination. All feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated.
Doctor GF
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not sure that the litter is wet. His tail is also jittery. What if I can't get in today?
Expert:  Doctor GF replied 7 years ago.
I would advise you make the time or have someone take him to the vet.
Thsi could be life threatening if he is blocked. Like I said, we both hope it is just something simple but it's too risky to wait very long.
Sorry, I wish I had an easy answer/fix.
Doctor GF