Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat is having a hard time swallowing. Whenever he tries

My cat is having a hard time swallowing. Whenever he tries to eat, he looks like he cannot swallow. What to do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 years ago.

Hi Wayne! Ineed for you to tell me a little more-

How old is he? Is he neutered? Does he actually eat food or tries and cannot get it down?

Thanks!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bear is 4 yrs old. He is neutered. He tried by I noticed that he has a hard time swallowing. When he wants to throw up, it is just clear. Bear is an indoor/outdoor cat. Yesterday he was his normal self whining and eating. He stayed out last night (1st warm night we've had).

Ok, thats better. A couple things come to mind for you to check. Since he was outside, he may have gotten into a fight with another cat and is forming an abcsess near the throat area. Feel all over felling for any scab or scratch.

If this is ok, try to open his mouth. Look for any type of foriegn body like a stick or any ulcers on his tongue or gums. He may fight you but just try.

Because this has come on so acutely, it has to be the result of some injury from the night out. Let me know what you find. It is a goos sign that he wants to eat but I am baffled by the difficult swallowing. I just wish I could see and feel him- so frustrating- this cyberspace thing. Anyways, let me know what you find...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I felt all over earlier and I didn't feel nor see any scabs or scratches. I will definitely check again and see in his mouth.

Thank you very much and I will keep you posted.

Hey Wayne! I wish I could help more but if he continues this and you cannot find anything, you may have to see your vet. I just thought of something else...some plants can cause a toxic burn in the pharynx just before the esophagus and make swallowing painful. It would be hard to see this unless he was anesthetized but there really is no treatment besides waiting for it to heal on its own...

I sure hope he feels better !!