Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

Can I safely give my cat pediatric glycerin suppositories for

Can I safely give my cat pediatric glycerin suppositories for constipation?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While the glycerine component of these suppositories would not be toxic to cats they may be ineffective and you may experience dificulties trying to insert them in the average cat. This type of treatment is rarely attemped in cats.

However if your cat is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { liquid paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your cat's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate would be around 2 ml twice a day given orally with a small syringe.

On a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try two teaspoons twice a day for an average sized cat.

But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the cat, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it should respond to the above treatment.

But cats can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or cancers of the bowel and stasis of the intestinal tract. This of course this is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having your vet check your cat over as further tests such as X-ray to try to come to some diagnosis as to why your cat appears constipated.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.