Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

my cat will not calm down, keeps licking himself, has a rash

my cat will not calm down, keeps licking himself, has a rash on his back, his paws are bright red, and he will not drink any water. he also keeps meowing. i am not sure what is wrong with him. could he possibly be allergic to the vita-greens or is something else wrong?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.
Hi, has he urinated today or is he straining to urinate?
Press on the sides of his abdomen- does it feel firm or is it painful?
How long ago did he have these vita-greens?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i believe he has urinated today, his sides are fine from what i can tell it doesn't bother him. he started the vita-greens a couple of days ago but he just actually ate them today.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.
Ok, thanks for the info.

The skin and over-grooming definitely sounds allergic. The reason I ask about the urine is because urethral obstruction is very common in male cats and signs are: licking the penis, vocalizing, non-productive straining in the litter box, vomiting and abdominal pain. If any of these are seen, it's a medical emergency that is life threatening.

If this is just an allergic reaction, then you can treat at home with some Benadryl. It can take up to 12-24 hours for Benadryl to fully resolve these hypersensitivity signs but it should help make him more comfortable and bring down some of the itching signs. The dose is 1 mg/lb every 8 hours. You will probably need to get children's liquid benadryl to properly dose him.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.