Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

kitten: with entropion in his right lower eye lid

I have a seven and a half month old kitten with entropion in his right lower eye lid. I know the two options of tacking and corrective surgery. Would you advise surgical intervention now or wait until he stops growing? Is there a possibility that this will correct itself as he continues to grow? All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I have carried out a great many entropion operations in my time and I can tell you the following :

1. It would be best to wait until he is fully grown, say around ten or eleven months of age. The entropion operation is a form of plastic surgery so if the cat's head keeps growing the post surgery scar area can stretch and distort the area.

2. The only thing you have to watch in the meantime is that the eye lashes on the affected eye do not impinge on the eye ball and cause ulceration or other damage. If you look at the eye and think this might be happening you should seek immediate hands on veterinary help.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I have taken him to our vet for this. He did have an ulcer on his eye which was healed with ointment. His eye is sometimes red, but much better than it was. I am now using neo-poly-dex to treat the redness after the ulcer healed. We were at the vet on Friday and he said the eye looks the best he has seen since this started and that there is less tension in the kitten's eyelid when the vet opens the eye. Also, the kitten seems to keep his eye more open more of the time lately. But his eyelid is still rolling inward. Also, his eye seems more recessed in the eye socket than the other eye and his third eyelid is slightly closed. I agree with your answer - to wait until he is grown, but that brings up two questions. Is it possible that he could outgrow this as he continues to grow (My suggestion was to wait a couple of weeks to see if the improvement continues) and just how painful/uncomfortable would you say this is for him? I am so torn about what to do. I don't want to put him thru the surgery and healing time if there's a chance he could outgrow this, but I also don't want him to suffer for another two to four months until he is fully grown. I'm also worried about permanent eye damage if we wait. Thank you again for your advice.
Hello again,

1. In my experience there is not really any chance he will outgrow this and the entropion naturally correct, sorry.

2. If there has been eye damage and discomfort taking place then the best thing to do is to go for surgery now. Your vet should be able to make a small allowance in the procedure to allow for your cat's continued growth. Best not to risk any damage to the actual eye ball.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.