Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinarian for dogs, cats and pocket pets.

What do I do if my cat is pooping blood

I just got home and I noticed that my cat has pooped with blood in it. Is it the kind of food? What do I do?

Thanks for your question!

Have you changed your cat's food recently?

Are there any major changes in the house?

Does he seem otherwise alright?

Dr. Marie.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We just got a new kind of food "Purina One" because she seemed to be throwing up the one before. We've changed the furniture but that's it. She seems to be fine except for a couple blood spots on the carpet. She's acting totally normal. Laying around and purring.

Thanks for that info.

While seeing blood in stool can appear frightening, we actually don't get too worried as long as the cat is otherwise feeling fine.

Blood in the stool is a sign of inflammation in the colon. This can happen because of a food change or because of stress (and yes, a change in furniture could be stressful to a cat!).

The good news is that it should be very temporary and you really don't need to do anything for it. Continue with the new food and don't feel the need to change the furniture back.

Your cat should be back to normal within 2-3 days. However, if you start noticing she is not feeling well or not eating then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!

Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.