Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.

Is Keflex safe to give cats for a uTi I can not afford to

Is Keflex safe to give cats for a uTi? I can not afford to take my at in for a vet visit and am very desperate for an answer. If so, what dosage. My dad has some left over from his dogs.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 7 years ago.
Can you give me a little more information? How old is your cat and what is he/she doing that makes you think he/she has a UTI? What dose is the Keflex?
Dr. Scarlett
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He's almost 12 years old, in good health other than the symptoms he started exhibiting this weekend.

He has been licking his male parts for a while, which until this weekend I thought was problems with his anal glands. Then he started peeing in various spots around the house, with little or no urine coming out. He didn't eat all weekend and drank very little water. He weighs approx 13-15 lbs.

Keflex is not my first choice of antibiotics for a cat with a urinary tract infection. Because male cats are very prone to getting blocked, I recommend having a urinalysis done to see if there are any crystals, blood, white blood cells, or bacteria in the urine. If there is just an infection, then I would ask your vet if you could just use the Keflex since you have some, saving you the prescription fee.

Because he isn't urinating much at any one time, I'd say he is at very high risk of blocking, which will require catheterization and a stay in the hospital. But if you can get him started on treatment (which may include fluids, a diet change, and an anti-inflammatory), hopefully he won't block. He is a bit on the older side for blocking, so it would be good to have either an ultrasound or an x-ray done to make sure there isn't bladder stones complicating things.

Hope that helps!

Dr. Scarlett