Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

my cat is losing her hair around her eyes and head. there are

my cat is losing her hair around her eyes and head. there are red spots round her left eye. what should i do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your girl who has lost hair around her eyes and head. As you can imagine there are quite a number of potential causes for this sort of skin problem and hair loss in this region!

Firstly - you need to make sure that your cat is definitely up to date with flea control. Make sure you are using a flea product appropriate for her weight. Even though you may not see any fleas on you girl doesn't mean there are one or two lurking and oftentimes this is all it takes for a cat with flea allergy dermatitis. In your girl's case it does sounds like she may have skin parasites or a fungal infection, or possibly even an underlying allergy of some sort with secondary infection.

Flea allergies are avoided by strict flea control - every 3 - 4 weeks with Advantage or Advantage Multi or every 5 - 6 weeks with Frontline. You must also ensure all pets in the household are treated at the same time. You should also consider flea bombing the entire house to kill all larvae and eggs hiding in your carpet.

It is also possible your cat may have skin mites or lice as they commonly hair loss like this. These could be either Demodex (less itchy) or Sarcoptes mites (VERY itchy) and you should ensure a full Veterinary check up so that he or she can carry out a physical examination and possibly a skin scrape to check for mites and lice, as well as signs of fleas. There could well be something else going on here such as Demodectic mange which is a little harder to spot and requires on going treatment. The next step would be to double check for fungal disease (such as ringworm) and there are several tests for this including a UV light and a fungal culture. It could also be that your cat has a bad yeast problem. Again a full Vet check will be able to confirm or deny this.

Finally cats can become allergic to many natural ingredients in their diet. I would also recommend a food trial for your girl using a hypoallergenic food like Hill's Z/D ultra available from your Vet. Feeding ONLY this for 3 weeks will give you an idea of whether a food allergy is to blame here.

As I say, it really would be a good idea to have a full consult with a Vet to check all of the above. I think a skin scrape and microscopy is definitely a good next step. Best of luck with your girl and I hope this has been of help to you. Please reply if you need any more information on this.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how much will it cost to get her medicine for each appropriate syptom, i am a littile low on cash. I am scred that vets might cost too much.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.
Hi againCustomer

I understand your concern. The trick with these cases is that a definitive diagnosis has to be made first. In saying this however, you could treat your girl for skin mites by using a topical treatment like Advantage Multi - now known as Advocate. This is something relatively cheap you could try before going to your Vet, but as I say we are better off working out exactly what is going on here before treating anything. I am most concerned that this could be ringworm just from where the lesions are and the symptoms your girl has. If this was the case then your girl would need treatment for around a month and the medications aren't too expensive. For this your Vet would definitely need to make a diagnosis first. I think these are the best two ports of call for this kitty.

If you really can't afford a Vet visit now - then try Advocate, otherwise see your Vet and go from there after diagnostics have been carried out.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards