Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.
Dear Dr. Z,
My cat is 13 years old; I got her from her original owner 7 years ago. She was diagnozed with hyperthyroidism a little over a year ago, and it's being treated successfully with methimazole.
Now, about the current symptoms. They started late last fall with sneezing and occasional sniffles, which I unfortunately overlooked for a while as she was due for her check up in a few weeks. In late November, she was prescribed an antibiotic that I cannot unfortunately remember, which did not take care of the symptoms, which by then included green mucus. Then the vet gave her azithromicine (around Christmas) and the mucus went away, but she never completely stopped sniffling - she just sounds like someone with nasal allergies.
What threw me off was that around the same time as the symptoms began, she developed a habit of drinking out of the faucet, so I noticed that she would sometimes sneeze after that, and I thought it was because the water would get into her nose. She stopped that about a month ago, but 10 days ago or so I noticed the green mucus again. So, here we are with azithromicine again, the mucus is gone, but she is still congested.
The vet said that the other two options are (a) something in her nose; or (b) a brain tumor (God forbid) - which would be a torture for her and a financial disaster for me, so before I go into any more expense I'd like to explore what it could be and all that.
I am waiting by the computer for your reply.
Thank you very much!Ana
Hello Dr. Z,
As far as I know, nothing like this ever happened before. No change in the environment; she is strictly indoors; no other animals; no habit changes.
About the first med: I just called the vet, and the first antibiotic that he prescribed (warning that it might not be strong enough) was clavamox at 62.5 mg per ml. And it wasn't, so then he prescribed azithromicine and it took care of the mucus.
Dr. Z - you are AWESOME! Thank you very much. I will see how things work with your suggestions and have my vet check her out within the next month or so if the problem persists.
All the best to you, and thank you again.