Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.

My cat has a snotty nose, occasionally she takes a breath through

My cat has a snotty nose, occasionally she takes a breath through her mouth to get a big breath. Have tried steriods which sometimes work and then only temporarily. She is 9 years old and this started whn we moved about 3 years ago. I have currently been giving her Prednisolone which doesn't seem to be doing much good, but it did work the first time I used it. I don't want to give her too much as I was told by my vet that she could develop diabetes. My cat seems to be eating and drinking normally.

In cats with chronic upper respiratory problems (that "snotty nose") I will usually put them on long-term antibiotics that can penetrate the bony sinuses as well as an anti-viral medication. The prednisolone is a good anti-inflammatory agent, but if there is a bacterial component to the problem (is the snot yellow or green in color?), then you need an antibiotic.

Many times chronic sinus problems are partly due to a herpes virus infection. I generally prescribe L-Lysine, 250 mg every 12 hours, until the problem has cleared up. You can buy lysine in 500 mg tablets at any pharmacy, or your vet may have a palatable paste available.

The antibiotics I prefer to use are either doxycycline or clindamycin, both of which can penetrate bone to where an infection can hang out and be difficult to eradicate. I generally start with 6 WEEKS of antibiotics, along with the lysine. If, after 3 weeks, there isn't much improvement, then I will add in an anti-inflammatory like metacam (but not a steroid which makes it harder for the immune system to fight off infection).

Hope that helps!

Dr. Scarlett

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The mucus in her nose is clear and has had a swab done. It is Pasturella multicida. Her vet prescribed something for herpes but was unsure so I didn't give it to my cat as I try not to pump her full of unnecessary medications. Should I just try the L-lysine and see if it works or does it sound as though she needs antibiotics. She has no fever or anyhting like that.
I would definitely try the Lysine. It won't hurt her if she doesn't have herpes and can only help if she does. Pasteurella is a bacteria and I would think could be treated with antibiotics. Was a sensitivity done on the culture to determine what antibiotic to use to treat the Pasteurella?
Dr. Scarlett
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I was given medication for that bacteria twice, I can't remember the name, it was a rather large round medium browm color which helped only temporarily. I will try the L-Lysine

Thank you

Not sure what medication you were given, but I'd encourage you to ask your vet about doxycycline and to use it for a good 3-6 weeks.

Good luck!
Dr. Scarlett