Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
7995545

Is it O.K. to give turmeric to a cat for lung cancer

Customer Question

Is it O.K. to give turmeric to a cat for lung cancer?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Good morning,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your cat, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Was your cat diagnosed with lung cancer by your veterinarian?

Is your cat on any other medications?

Fiona
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Dr. Fiona,

Yes, my cat was diagnosed by a local vet and is on subcutaneous IV injections every other day for onset of renal disease/failure and just recently has been put on liquid steroids. (Dexamethasone 0.4mg/ml suspension, 0.2mg by mouth twice a day) to ease the difficulty of breathing and is also getting a shot every 10-14 days of steroids too. The x-ray showed the tumor as being in the very back of one of the lungs.

I also just started giving her something which is advertised for cats with cancer, it's called ES- Clear, the ingredients are burdock, sheeo sorrel, slippery elm & Chinese rhubarb. It's more of an all natural herbal mixture. And also another all natural herbal product that I've been giving her for a while for asthma and it's called AmazaPet, the ingredients are areinula helenium,athea officinallis Mag. phos,(D6)Kali. Mur. (D6), Arsen. alb. (30C) Phosphorus (30C)

I know that turmeric is a natural antiflammatory and has recently made a boil on my back totally disappear. And is suppose to help subside, decrease and elimanate tumors/boils. I used the pure herb from the grocery store and put it into capsules and took it that way myself and I also have a turmeric solution and the ingredients are, organic fresh turmeric root ( curcuma longa) And the other ingredients are Grain alcohol (55-65% by volume) and deionized water. This is a concentrated liquid drop natural medication.

Thank-you for your help.

C. Anderson

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Hi there C. Anderson,

Turmeric (curcumin) is safe in cats. I have suggested it for use in cats that have arthritis. I usually recommend that people use the spice that you purchase at your grocery store! Make sure it is fresh.

As you know, you can purchase empty capsules from a pharmacy and put the turmeric in them, or you can mix it in with some tasty canned food or human baby food in meat flavours (make sure there are no onions or onion powder in the baby food). The dose is 1/4 of the human dose (this applies to all herbal products in cats - their metabolism is faster, so although they are 1/10th our size, their does ie 1/4 our dose).

I generally avoid products with alcohol in them as cats are very sensitive to alcohol and it is more toxic to them then to us.

If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Dr. Fiona,

Thank-you for your answer, I find it very helpful and I will try to administer it right away even though she is "near the end". Maybe it might be helpful in prolonging the enivitable.

Usually I give the cats any medication by dropper so I'm going to dissolve the tumeric in water and feed it to her with the eye dropper. I'm hoping that it will work.

Thank-you again.

C. Anderson

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
You are so very welcome! I do hope that it helps to provide her some relief and comfort!
Best wishes,
Fiona