Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario

my cat is losing hair on her lower belly and now the bottom

my cat is losing hair on her lower belly and now the bottom of her back legs. i have another cat that is fine so i don't think it's mites/fleas or else they would both most likely have these symptoms. what causes this and is there something i can do before spending a fortune at a vet?
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your cat with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How old is your cat?

When did this start?

Is the skin soft and smooth in the areas that are affected, or is the skin scaley and bumpy?

Does she have some "peach fuzz" in these areas, or is it totally bald and shiny?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she is 7 years old, it must have started a couple of weeks ago and is now becoming much more noticable. the skin is soft and does have peach fuzz, i have seen her licking her belly and legs more, but when i touch those areas she is ok and does not look uncomfortable. it doesn't look irrated and she seems otherwise normal.

And has there been any recent change in her world - a move, new room-mate, renovations, etc?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i moved in november (but we have moved multiple times in the past 7 years), and i rearranged 2 rooms in the apartment in january. this is also the first apartment building i'm in that has dogs on some of the floors, even though she is strictly an indoor cat and does not go outside.

What floor are you on? Could she be seeing something outside?

Could she be hearing dogs barking in the building?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i'm on the 3rd floor, i think there is a dog 2 apartments down but it seems pretty well behaved and i don't hear it barking all that often. there's another apartment building across the way so i guess she could see something but not sure what since it's across the way. they grew up with a 3rd cat up until they were about 3-4 then that cat dies so they are used to other cats.

What you are describing sounds like feline psychogenic alopecia (FPA).

With this condition, the cat “barbers” the fur (chews it, bites it or licks it) in one area to the point of baldness (alopecia), or even until there is bleeding. Often, this barbered coat is very short - like peach fuzz.

FPA is often due to an underlying stress. FPA is a bit like nail-chewing in humans – it is done because it makes the cat feel calmer, as a way of dealing with stress. As with people who chew their nails, it may continue even when it must be causing pain if the skin has become raw.

Some breeds seem to be a bit more prone to FPA (Siamese, Burmese, Himalayan, and Abyssinian) but it can occur in cats of any age, sex or breed.

Before Kitty can be diagnosed as definitely having FPA, your veterinarian would need to rule out a few other possible causes of hair loss in the belly area. These would be fleas, ringworm, Demodex (mange), allergies and bladder inflammation (some cats lick over the bladder area when it is uncomfortable).

There is no specific test for FPA, it is a “diagnosis of exclusion” which means that when we have ruled out physical problems, then what is left is a stress response problem.

Unfortunately, there is no quick cure for FPA and it is something that one has to “manage” as opposed to “cure.” Treatment involves trying to minimize the stress in your cat’s life.

One of the things that I would strongly recommend is a Feliway Diffuser system. This is a plug-in device that sprays a cat pheromone into the air, helping to calm the cat without drugs.

Here’s a link to more information:

I find the plug-in diffuser to be the most helpful since it works even when you are not there, which is when Kitty is most likely to feel stressed and lick her tummy.

Also, keep in mind that this may flare up at times of stress for your Kitty - such as moving, a new room-mate, new pets in the home, and so on. Using the Feliway diffuser at those times may really help Kitty to adjust.

It is hard to know what might have triggered this. Often things can be stressful to cats and not even register with us. Maybe your upstairs neighbours moved their furniture around, and the loud noises from that really frightened your cat. Maybe she is seeing another cat in the window across the way. It could be something as simple as her favourite couch no longer being near her favourite window to allow her to look out when she wants.

Another treatment option would be to give her a very safe anti-anxiety drug called Composure Liquid from Vetri Science It is composed of a protein extract from a milk product and a soy product plus a few other things. It seems to work great for cats that are stressed.

Another thing that you could try would be Rescue Remedy.
More about it here:

It is pretty widely available at health food stores. If you don't have one near you, here is a link:

I have found the results variable with Rescue remedy. Some cats do seem more relaxed with Rescue Remedy, some don't seem to have any change with its use. But it is safe!

If this does not work, your veterinarian could prescribe a number of different "Prozac"-like drugs for cats. As with humans, sometimes it takes a while to find the best medication for relieving your cat's stress, and you might have to try 2 or 3 different drugs before finding what works for Kitty. Usually, medications are only used when the problem is so severe that the cat is damaging her skin.

I will include some links to further information about FPA:

So, in summary, it sounds as though Kitty has feline psychogenic alopecia, though physical problems would have to be ruled out first to be able to diagnose this.

Treatment aims at minimizing stress, using a Feliway diffuser and possibly using medication if needed for worsening problems or known upcoming stress, such as a move.

If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.