Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
7995545
Cat Veterinary

my cat has a thick white discharge comeing from her vagina

what is it
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you and your cat with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How old is the cat?

When did this start?

Is she spayed?

Fiona
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
i dont know how old she is she was dropped of at my house with about 4 months ago with a litter of 4 kittens. this started about 3 days ago all the kittens are fine no discharge from them. No shes not spayed.
So, the kittens were born about 5 months ago or so?

Is momma cat eating and drinking and active?

Or is she depressed and lethargic?
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
she eats and drinks fine and is very loveable and playfull.
And when did the discharge start?
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
about 3 or 4 days ago
Ah...

Ok!
Thanks for that information! I need about 10 minutes to write up a detailed response for you and then I will be back!

Fiona
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
ok thanks

Hi again,

I am very suspicious that your girl may have pyometra.

This is a life-threatening infection of the uterus, where the uterus fills with bacteria and white blood cells. It often occurs at this time of year, as unspayed cats will start to go into heat in January or February. If they don’t get pregnant, then the uterus is a high risk for infection developing.

If the cervix is open, the pus will drip out, and will look creamy-white to yellow as you have described. It often has a foul FOUL odour.

If the cervix happens to be closed, there is no visible discharge from the vagina and all the pus stays inside the cat. This is much more dangerous. The toxins in the pus are absorbed in to the blood stream and the cat becomes very ill.

Without treatment, pyometra can be fatal.

The best treatment is to spay your cat and thus remove the source of infection, though some cats may respond to antibiotic treatment if the cervix is open.

Here is more about pyometra in cats:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/pyometra-in-cats/page1.aspx

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1362&aid=917

And here is a site that you can use in the USA to find free or or low cost spaying and neutering:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

I will still be here to provide more information if you need it - just click on reply!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
can this discharge be harmful to me and my family if we step in it barefoot.
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
can this discharge be harmful to me and my family.
No, it would not harm you - even if you stepped in it barefoot.

It would have bacteria in it, so it would be best to clean it up the same way you would fecal matter (wash your skin well, and use a disinfectant in the area).

Hope she feels better soon!

Fiona