Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

The last few days my cat is slobbering a lot and I noticed

Customer Question

The last few days my cat is slobbering a lot and I noticed he also has a bit of a runny nose. Other than that he is eating and playing so he doesn't really seem sick. Any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Can you help me with a couple questions?
1) How old is your cat?
2) Is the slobber bad smelling or does his breath smell?
3) Any vomiting?
4) How long has the slobbering been going on?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My cat is 13 months old. _ all vacinations are up to date.

I noticed the slobbering started 1 1/2 days ago. It is clear and doesn't have any odor. Cat's breath seems OK too.

No vomiting.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
5) Is your little one sneezing?
6) Is your little one slobbering all the time?
7) Any discomfort while chewing?
8) Any swelling of the face?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Haven't seen any sneezing, but today I noticed a little bit of a runny nose.

The slobbering doesn't seem to be constant, but quite a bit of it - especially when he's laying down resting and sleeping

Seems to be eating just fine and I don't notice any swelling on his face.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
The presence of a runny nose has me suspicious that he might have a little upper respiratory infection going on. These usually are mild and don't require intervention with antibiotics unless the pet gets really congested and dumpy. Then antibiotics can help with a secondary bacterial infection, since a majority of these just start out as viral infections.

I can't give you a true diagnosis on the slobbering while laying down and resting. If he was having odor in his mouth or discomfort eating - then I'd be suspicious of oral lesions such as tooth injuries, ulcers, or severe gingivitis. If it was happening on and off while he was awake - I'd be suspicious of him eating something that greatly irritated his oral cavity.

Since it is happening as he is resting and sleeping - could he just have poor closure of his mouth and the normal salivary production leak? That is a possibility. Almost like a person drooling as they sleep.

I honestly am curious to know if there is anything in the mouth that could also be going on - even though it again doesn't sound like it. To rule oral lesions out, I would take him to the vet for them to further evaluate his mouth, teeth, gums, and back of the oral cavity. If nothing is found, that would be good. Then it might again be behavioral.

Hope all goes well,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks. I'll follow up with my regular vet if it continues to be a problem or if I notice any of the other things you mentioned (such as odor or problems chewing).

I appreciate your feedback.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
Please let me know what they find if anything. I'm very curious to find what they find.