purrdoc
purrdoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  feline-only vet for 11 years

why cat has open flesh wounds on neck that dont want to heal seem to be getting

tried peroxide and polysprin seems to not help he is in good healthin general about 10 yrs old wants to keep licking at area
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  purrdoc replied 5 years ago.

Hello-

I would be glad to help you but I need a bit more information:

How long have these wounds been there and how large are they?

What part of the neck are they on? (top behind the head, sides, or under his chin?)

Does he seem itchy?

Are the wounds deep or superficial?

What food is he on?

Does he go outside?

Thanks and I will wait for your reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
theyare large and fleshy that run on the bottom of his neck from left to right almost open and bloody he is 10 yrs old in very good health otherwise he goes out on our lani but not in the yard roaming he eats Blue mature cat food he keeps licking sometimes scratching i tried cleaning with peroxide and ploysporin it seems to not help it started about a week ago on right side now it is developing on the left never seen anything like it we even shaved some of the hair around the first sore to try and see if that my help as he is pretty hairy the first sore is getting deep the second is superficial right now thank you for any help
Expert:  purrdoc replied 5 years ago.

Hi there-

Thanks for the additional information.

Anything that originally breaks open the skin (scratching, a cut, etc) can get infected. Then, because of the infection, the itchiness increases, and cats will spread the infection as they itch.

Sometimes systemic antibiotics are needed to get the infection under control. If it is really bad, you may want to consider a trip to your vet.

One thing you can do to help prevent the damage he is causing by scratching is to apply soft paws to his rear feet. These are hollow plastic nail sleeves that are designed to prevent damage from scratching. They are glued onto your cats nail, will fall off as the nail grows out, are painless, and are cost effective. These are available in most pet stores, on line, and most vet clinics. http://www.softpaws.com

Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide is just fine. To help the itch, you may also want to use a hydrocortisone cream (ointments are too greasy). You could mix this with an antibiotic cream if you want. Just apply sparingly and make sure to rub both in well. The more goo, the more he will lick :)

I would definitely advise treating for fleas, even if you don't think he has any. Some cats are allergic to the flea saliva and just one random flea bite can cause an intense reaction. You will never find the evidence of this flea, but your cat will be miserable. Frontline is the only safe over the counter flea product I know of. Please don't buy a generic topical flea product or any Hartz products, as these are very toxic to cats, even though they are labeled as safe.

Food allergies can also cause skin problems. It is currently recommended to feed cats 100% canned food, and preferably a grain-free food. You can learn more about this recommendation at www.catinfo.org. This is web site that all cat owners should really take time to visit.

I will attach the nutritional handout we use at our feline only practice below. It is a summary of the basics....

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.

High Protein/ Low Carb (grain-free) diets

Nutritionally speaking, cats are "obligate carnivores". This means they need very high levels of protein to thrive and don't have a very good ability for utilizing carbohydrates (grains, sugars). Cats also need some nutrients that can only be obtained from animal tissue, not plants. By ancestry, cats are descendents of desert cats (African wild cat, F. lybica). This is why they have very concentrated urine and don't need to drink as much as other species of similar size. In the wild, cats hunt primarily small rodents and birds as prey. All these creatures are about 70% moisture. This is how wild cats get most of their water requirements.

Now let's think about what we typically feed our cats over their lifetime. They usually get most of their food in the form of dry kibble. Some people feed canned food but rarely exclusively. This traditional way of feeding cats presents two major problems as discussed below.

First, most of the common brands of cat foods are full of carbohydrates in the form of grains (corn, rice, soy, wheat). As "obligate carnivores", cats aren't designed to use high levels of carbohydrates for nutrition. Cats specifically do not have the enzymes in their liver or saliva that are optimal to process carbohydrates. Their mouths, teeth, digestive tracts, pancreas, and liver are specifically designed for a high protein diet. So why are most pet food companies putting so many grains (carbs) into cat food? The answers could be many including convenience, larger profit margins, or the mistaken conception that cats are small dogs. When reading the ingredient label on food, a meat source is usually listed first but this doesn't mean the diet is high protein. If the next several ingredients are a form of grain (listed above), this is a high carbohydrate food. Plants do contain protein, but for an obligate carnivore like cats, this is a lower quality protein. Animal based proteins have biologic values (a measure of usability) ranging from 100% (egg) to 78% (beef). Plant based proteins range from 67% (soybean) to 45% (corn).

What does a carbohydrate loaded diet mean in the long run to your cat? High carbohydrates can predispose to obesity, just like in people. Diabetes is common in cats and high carb diets and obesity are known to be risk factors. Obesity also leads to arthritis. Add to this scenario the typical spoiled, well-loved cat that doesn't have to "hunt" for its food, and you have a sedentary lifestyle that also increases the risk of obesity and diabetes. It is known that a high carb diet actually changes the ph level and thus the bacterial types that grow in the mouth and digestive tracts. This change in bacterial content can lead to intestinal problems in some cats. Grains can be a source of allergies for some cats too.

The second problem a dry diet creates is a potentially dehydrated cat. Wild cats get most of their moisture from the prey they eat (mouse=70% water). The average dry food is only 10% water. Most feline practitioners and internal medicine specialists are now recommending an exclusively canned diet since the moisture in canned food most closely mimics their natural prey. It is thought that the lack of moisture in dry diets can contribute to urinary tract disease such as cystitis, crystals, and stones.

Many people have been told canned food is bad for teeth and can lead to dental disease. This is only partially true. Although canned food can leave more residue on the teeth than dry food, dry food does virtually nothing to help keep the teeth clean. It would be the equivalent of your dentist telling you it is ok to eat crunchy cookies to help clean your teeth. There are a few dental diets on the market that do a better job at scraping plaque off the teeth, but they are high carb and are only minimally effective at actual cleaning. The real reason for dental disease is lack of daily care. Obviously it is difficult to get a cat to accept daily tooth brushing, but there are some "cat friendly" options available. Your veterinarian can advise you on these products.

So what should your cat eat for optimal health? The more moisture your cat receives, the better. If your cat loves canned food and you don't mind feeding it exclusively, it is currently thought to be the best option as it mimics their moisture requirement. Grain-free canned food is the lowest in carbohydrates. If your cat refuses to eat canned food, the grain free dry foods are still the best option nutritionally. Many cats will accept the dry food with some water added. It is imperative to have fresh water available at all times.

It is important to realize there is no such thing as the perfect pet food. Changing brands every once and a while or mixing brands may help ensure your cat gets the best each company has to offer. It is also good to offer variety so we don't train our cats to become finicky eaters. There are many grain free dry and canned foods on the market. High protein levels may not be advisable for select medical conditions. Please talk to your veterinarian regarding the recommendations for your cat.

High Protein/Low Carbohydrate Food Data Sheet

Please visit these company's websites for detailed information.

Protein Source

May be single or combined sources - read label to verify.

Brand - Canned Food

Kcal count

Seafood

Poultry

Beef or

Red Meat

Game

Egg Sources

Before Grain

*

X

X

X

X

Blue Buffalo Wilderness

*

X

Evanger's

*

X

X

X

X

Innova Evo

*

X

X

X

Instinct

*

X

X

X

Newman's Own Grain Free

*

X

Pinnacle

*

X

X

Wellness Core

*

X

X

Weruva

*

X

X

X

*Canned foods usually range about 30-40 calories per ounce with little variance between brands. These are not ranked in order.

Dry foods are listed with calories (kcal/cup) lowest to highest for your convenience.

Brand - Dry Food

Kcal count

Seafood

Poultry

Beef or

Red Meat

Game

Egg Sources

Taste of the Wild

390/cup

X

X

X

Before Grain

406-409/cup

X

X

Indigo Moon

450/cup

X

X

X

Instinct

474-491/cup

X

X

Wellness Core

536/cup

X

X

Orijen

540/cup

X

X

X

Pinnacle

562/cup

X

X

Blue Buffalo Wilderness

587/cup

X

X

Innova Evo

612/cup

X

X

purrdoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: feline-only vet for 11 years