alhdvm
alhdvm, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 11+ years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I work on all species of animals.
10679819

Is is alright to give my cat vaseline petroleum for constipation

I wanted to give my cat the Vaseline petroleum jelly for constipation but when I read the label it said not to be taken internally. Is it safe to give it to a cat internally. I read alot of people give it to their cats but I was worried about the part about taking internally. This is the vaseline I found in the drugstore made by Unilever. This is a followup question to a answer I received the other day. Also it was suggested I give my cat milk do you have a creative way to give it to him? He will not drink it at all. Thanks
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  alhdvm replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

I definitely WOULD NOT give Vaseline orally (by mouth). That is not safe. You can go to any petstore and get a product for hairballs that is basically the same thing but it is safe to give. The one we use at my vet clinic is called Laxatone but you can use any hairball remedy.

If you want to give you cat something for constipation I would recommend canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin not pie filling) as most cats will eat this. DO NOT give milk. It is likely to upset his stomach and if he won't drink it then you are not likely going to get any into him anyway.

You can also use Milk of Magnesia. You can give one teaspoon (5ml) up to every 12 hours. Go to any pharmacy and they should be able to give you a dosing syringe. If this doesn't help within 2 days you need to get your cat to a vet.

Cats can get a condition called Megacolon and that needs to be adressed by a vet.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

Dr. Hinson
alhdvm, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have 11+ years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I work on all species of animals.