Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  13 yrs as small animal vet; 20+ yrs in animal care; cat owner for 30+ yrs

my cat has a wound that looks like he was shot by a bb gun.

Customer Question

my cat has a wound that looks like he was shot by a bb gun. How can I clean it and dress it until I can get to a vet tomorrow? It's not bleeding, I cleaned it a little with water & peroxide, then rinsed it. Can I put neosporin and try to bandage it? it's on his hip by his back leg. He's not limping, and he is eating & drinking, so it's not really bothering him a lot. Bonnie G.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 years ago.
Just a few questions first. Can you tell how deep the wound is? Is there any discharge - not just blood, but pus or anything like that? How fresh does the wound look? And how does he react when you touch the area?

Dr. Z
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A little pus, and some light red blood, I think after he is cleaning it. I can't tel how deep, but he is trying to clean it and it looks like he is opening it up more. I is likeXXXXX I thought it was a bite at first, but I see only 1 hole.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

can I try neosporin and try to bandage it? Can I give him anything like aspirin or something incase he is in pain? There are no 24 hr vets within 45 min or 1 hr of

my house.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 years ago.
With the pus, it sounds like it may be an abscess that has ruptured, rather than a bb wound. Though I can't be certain.
You can apply neosporin. The only concern with that is that if it is an abscess, you don't want the hole to close up before the infection is cleared out - that's what caused the abscess in the first place. But it's not likely to close up overnight, so if you are planning on taking him in to the vets in the morning, then applying neosporin tonight would be no problem.
As for pain, there are very very few human medications that a cat can safely take. DO NOT under any circumstances, give him tylenol or acetaminophen. It is highly toxic to cats. Unless he is in extreme pain, which it doesn't sound like from your description, I would not recommend giving him any medication until the vet sees him tomorrow. Mainly because if you give him something tonight, it may mean the vet can't give him something better tomorrow for fear of a cross-reaction.
You can also try to bandage the wound, if he will let you. But it probably isn't really necessary, and may just aggravate him more than leaving it alone.

Most likely, if it is indeed an abscess, the vet will want to flush it out real well (he will probably need to be sedated for this) and then send him home on a week or so of antibiotics. Make sure you give him the entire course of antibiotics, even if he looks like he's doing better.

Good luck with him. And let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Z