Dr. JD
Dr. JD, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  15+ years practice experience as a cat/dog veterinarian- special interest in behavior

my cat is constipated. his anus is plugged up with hard feces

my cat is constipated. his anus is plugged up with hard feces and the current stool cannot pass. how do I unplug his rear end so he can deficate?

I would take a warm damp cloth and hold it in place for a few minutes to try to soften and gently remove it. You might have to have help holding your cat for this.. and often holding them by the scruff will keep them from wiggling too much.

If he has long hair, it would help to clip or cut the hair from around the area because often the hair will trap the feces and cause these plugs to form.

I hope this is helpful and please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX't worked yet but he ran to his box and tried to boo boo. would vaseline soften the hard feces so he can go?

You can add a little canned pumpkin to his food- a spoonful.. and that might help soften his stool. Were you able to remove the plug?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry, I left the computer on. I was able to remove part of the plug. it's about 1/4" in his body. I did put some vaseline on his butt. he has tried to go but so far he hasn't. I will get pumkin tomorrow if that isn't too lare. he isn't crying or anything. I was able to give him some vaseline by mouth 2 times this week. that is what the vet told me to do once before...about 3 years ago. he probably will not eat the pumpkin....I just gave him canned food with a lot of gravy in it.

Vaseline is fine if he will take it. You can give him an enema with warm water. Just a teaspoon or two of warm water- don't use a fleet enema or any over the counter prepared enema with chemicals... just warm water.

If you don't have any luck tomorrow, you should take him to the vet for an enema...sometimes we have to sedate them to be able to remove all of the stool that has backed up.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX't think I can do that by myself. I am a widow and will pray this wet cloth and vaseline works. the vet won't be in her office until Monday and this cat doesn't ride. I don't have a clue on how to give a cat an enema.

I don't blame you for not wanting to try. It's certainly not advisable and they understandably don't cooperate.

I hope the tricks we discussed help!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for your help. I sure hope the vaseline works. this cat is 14 and is really constipated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

found this while trying to find out how to give 14 year old Mr.Customeran enema...........Marian

Gave my cat an ENEMA last night...

I'm posting this with hope that someone can give me a better way! My 13 year old Huckleberry gets constipated every now and then. He is on Lactulose and that has helped but he still has trouble sometimes. My vet said that is not unusual at his age and gave me some suggestions to try to prevent it but said sometimes he will need an ENEMA to get things going.

So, I bought the baby glycerin enemas and got ready. I decided to do it in a big walk-in shower for easy cleanup (and less escape routes) but my vet scared me about hurting him so much that I was a nervous wreck! I had a couple of glasses of wine while I was planning all of this out and that probably had something to do with the next decision to go into the shower naked once again for easier cleanup.

Fast forward 45 minutes to a crying, drunk, naked, vaseline covered woman in the shower with a pissed off, oil covered cat with my slobber all over his tail (hold cat with one hand..enema in the other...the tail gets held up how besides in my mouth?), and 4 unsuccessfully attempted anemas strewn about and I finally got it done.

He may have just pooped to end our suffering.
There must be a better way?

I've seen several versions of that... they are always funny.