Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian
Experience:  Canine and Feline Specialist, DABVP, Veterinarian since 2000

Around how much does it typically cost to correct a prolapsed

Around how much does it typically cost to correct a prolapsed rectum and what is the average success rate for a 7 month old female manx kitten.
Where are you located?

Is your vet recommending surgery or just conservative (medical) care?

Is she having diarrhea?

I'll be online for the next while to help!
Dr. Devlin
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am in Austin Texas. When Sookie (the cat) was spayed he did a little work on it to try to help it because he said doing the full surgery was very risky and expensive so it shouldn't be done unless absolutely necessary and when I brought her home the next day it was out again and has gotten more swolen than I have ever seen it. I don't believe that she is having diarrhea but if she opens the sliding back door she runs out and will eat a bunch of grass and then a greenish fluid will come out with some grass blades a few hours later.

Prolapsed rectums are typically from chronic irritation and diarrhea. If severe, the rectum may need to be replaced with a purse-string suture to tighten things up. However, most prolapses are treated with keeping the area clean and moist with lube, and treating the underlying cause. I can't stress this enough! Your cat should have a full work up for FELV/FIV viruses, a fecal parasite check and rectal cytology, possibly tests for giardia and tritrichomonas, and then be placed on anti-inflammatory medication and a special diet.

I'm concerned because it has been so chronic. Even with the time frame, I would consider this to need immediate treatment to try to save as much tissue as possible.

If it is past the point of conservative care, surgery to remove dead/devitalized bowel can cost close to $1000 or more, and there may be complications. I would consider seeing a specialist in your area for a second opinion and estimate.

Here's more information:

Best luck with Sookie. I hope she feels better soon.
Dr. Devlin