Dr. K
Dr. K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

my cat is starting to get bald spots behind both ears. they

my cat is starting to get bald spots behind both ears. they don't seem irratated and inside the ears are clean. what could be the problem?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

How old is your kitty?
Are these bald spots behind the ear flap, toward the back of the head...or are they in the area of skin between the ear and the outer corner of the eye?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my cat is 2 1/2 yrs. old. the bald spots are between the ear and the outer corner of the eye.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
This is perfectly normal. This is call "preauricular alopecia". This area of the cat's face is more sparsely haired than other parts of the head. This is not an abnormality, and neither requires nor would it respond to any type of treatment. If the skin in these areas is completely normal, then there is nothing to worry about. If the skin becomes crusty, red, or rashy...or if your cat should start itching in these areas, then the doctor would do some tests to look for bacterial, mite or fungal infections.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your cat. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i may not have been clear about where the bald spots on my cats ears are. looking at the ears from the back side, the bald spot is on the outer sides of each ear.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
Are they on your cat's head/face...or are they on the pinna of the ear (the actual standing up part of the ear)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the actual standing up part of the ear. if you look at the back of the right ear, the bald spot is on the right outer side of the ear
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
What color is your cat's fur?
Is your cat Siamese?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my cat is a ragdoll. my cats fur is mostly white with dark grey ears.

Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
If this hair loss is symmetrically bilateral, the skin underneath looks normal, and your cat is not showing any signs of itchiness...then this is probably normal, and the cat's fur will regrow. Siamese cats seem to do this often in exactly this area of the pinna of the ear. I do not see anything about this occurring in Ragdolls, but I can say that I have noticed some hair loss on many DSH cats in this region as well.
Without being able to examine your cat in person...I really can't know for sure.

If this alopecia persists or gets worse, then you really should see a veterinarian about it. It could be a mild case of demodicosis, which is an infection with a type of skin mite. It often does not cause any itchiness and can result in hair loss. The vet can diagnose this with a test called a skin scraping, and it is treatable.

I hope that this better answers your question,

Dr. K
Dr. K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience as Veterinarian