Dr. JD
Dr. JD, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  15+ years practice experience as a cat/dog veterinarian- special interest in behavior
15636213

My cat is crying and throwing up a gel-like (rancid) clear

My cat is crying and throwing up a gel-like (rancid) clear liquid. Sometimes he convulses as he tries to make something happen. I recently changed to clumping cat litter, and I suspect he is plugged up. Do I need to take him to the vet? Is there something homeopathic I can do today to make him more comfortable? (besides change the litter)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 7 years ago.

May I ask a few questions?

Is he urinating normally?

When was the last time he urinated and had a bowel movement?

Is he eating normally?

How many times did he vomit?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have the litter box in the basement and am often at work, so I don't know about the urinating and bowel movements. His back side looks like he's passed something recently. :) He drinks excessive amounts of water from wherever he can get it, but he doesn't eat a whole lot. He is jumpy. He has been vomiting for about 3-4 days, about three times a day or more. He cries loudly, and within a couple of minutes, he starts choking out globs of kitty phlegm.
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 7 years ago.

Hi again,

How old is he?

Has he always been a picky eater and big water drinker or are these two things that you've recently noticed?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is 9. These behaviors are recent...within the last few days.
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 7 years ago.

I think these symptoms due warrant a vet visit. In the meanwhile, you can safely give him 1/4 of a 10mg pepcid every 12 hours to help control nausea.

In a cat that age, those symptoms could indicate constipation, urinary infections or obstructions, kidney or liver disease, and diabetes.

All of those can be ruled in or out with a physical exam and some routine bloodwork.

Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just in case, I would still like to know if there is a homeopathic remedy to help the cat "pass" the clay from its system, if that's the case. I have others that would like to know as well. I will not hold you liable for any decisions I make. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 7 years ago.

You can try mixing a little canned pumpkin in the food. And keep plenty of water available. Sometimes that helps move things along.

Good luck!