Michael
Michael, Employment Services
Experience:  Employment Services Professional
70951075

How do I explain being fired for a code of ethics violation

Customer Question

How do I explain being fired for a code of ethics violation to prospective employers?
JA: The employment specialist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the employment specialist can help you best.
Customer: Off site meeting, dinner with open bar, comments made violating ethics policy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the employment specialist should know?
Customer: Misconduct by team members, one member passed out on bench, another urinated in public
Category: Job
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Team leader was present and did not stop activities
Expert:  Michael replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

From reading your explanation, code of ethics was violated and that from everything that has happen as this is in the past and time to recover and rethink what was done. I am sure you feel terrible over what had happen and that you would take that night back in a second if you could. This is where though you can rebuild your trust with a new employer and show that you have the professional manner in which to be hired no matter the past.

Honesty is important as any background check will discover what happen at your previous employer. No need to be specific in what events happen that night but if asked, explain that poor judgement was made and that you have learned from your mistake and that you want a chance to be a productive part of the new company you are interviewing with.

The interview should then turn toward your talents and professional work ethic and less toward the incident that happen in the past. Let the interviewer again know that you have learned from your mistake and that you are willing to start new with this company and to have a position to grow and start from the bottom up. Only way I believe that you can be given a chance as I would hope a prospective company will give you that chance.

I hope that this information was found helpful as I wish you the best in the interview process. Please let me know of any additional questions/concerns you might have as well as also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that i know my help was found useful today.

Best of luck,

Michael

Expert:  Michael replied 7 months ago.

Best of luck,

Michael