Michael, Employment Services
Experience:  Employment Services Professional

I'm incredibly unhappy with my job because of a personality

Customer Question

I'm incredibly unhappy with my job because of a personality clash with my boss, and she increases my anxiety. One of my coworkers just left, and she said she's going to need to rely on me more. Truth is, I'm so unhappy, anxious, and depressed, that I need to get out from under her and the job. Do you think trying to leave now will cause problems or do you think I have the right to look elsewhere if I'm so unhappy?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Job
Expert:  Jennifer Bouley replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am a career coach expert with JustAnswer. Could you tell me a little more about what you have in mind if you were to potentially leave your current employer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was considering either looking for internal jobs (I work at a university) or similar to what I held in the past (reception at a financial company). I'm currently a staff assistant.

okay, just before I go any further, this conversation will be able to help you work out the pros and cons of your current situation, I would not be able to provide you with an answer, but I will certainly do my best to help you work out your thoughts. Looking into internal jobs at the University is certainly a good idea, and it might be a chance to help you advance your career to the next steps. What are your main concerns about leaving the current situation?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm afraid of my boss being angry that I'm looking to leave now that we're already short one person. I'm afraid of getting a bad reference from her (I don't feel I'm living up to my full potential because my anxiety gets in the way... And I know it's because she triggers my anxiety - I didn't have this problem in my last job).

Okay that is a valid point, perhaps looking into moving into another job (maybe with another company) while you are working would be an avenue you could consider. It is always best to keep your current job while looking for another on. You want to make sure that the job you have makes you feel comfortable. If you are a good performer your boss should provide you with a good reference. Have you considered seeing if the University has a career advancement program that could aid you in moving on to the next step? And if you are considering moving on I would work with you on how to set the bar for your next potential employer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, I'm pretty sure they don't have a program like that. And to be honest, I'm at the breaking point, and if I'm going to look elsewhere, I'd rather it be as quickly as possible.
So you think it's better for me to look outside the university rather than within? I'm just curious.

The choice is essentially yours to make. But if you feel that your current job is wearing you down this could be an option you could consider. Just make sure that before you execute your search you are clear on what you are willing to accept and not accept in terms of company, pay, location, benefits etc.

Basically, If you are going to make the move, make the right move!