Aaron
Aaron, Consultant
Experience:  Doctorate level education, former manager
7286322

I work as a staff assistant at a university but I'm

Customer Question

I work as a staff assistant at a university but I'm overwhelmed by the job and my boss. My anxiety has caused some job performance issues, and I'm wondering if I should use a temp agency to find a job that's better suited for me. Does it make sense to go from a university to a temp agency?
Category: Job
Expert:  Aaron replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am so sorry to hear about this situation. If you are looking at your current position as a long term career, it is better to stay, arguably. This is because a temp agency is not as a "prestigious" entry on one's resume as a solid, full time employment. In addition, a temp agency's pay would generally be lower than that of a full time job, and the benefits would likely be less (if any). Finally, the work from a temp agency is often intermittent. Do you have any time off accumulated? Consider using it. This is a great way to get a little "break" without having to quit. Finally, if your anxiety is severe, consider FMLA. See HERE. With a doctor's note, you can get some time off with a guaranteed position and pay waiting for you when you get back. I wish you the best. Good luck, and please do not forget to rate positively and submit your rating (or to reply and chat more if you need to).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My concern is that my boss basically said that she's keeping me because she knows that I want to do a good job. During my review she asked me if I felt this was the right fit (I felt like she wanted me to say no). She said she's giving it 6 months to see how things go. I feel like I should be looking because obviously neither of us are happy with things.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
basically said that she's ONLY keeping me because she knows that I want to do a good job.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've been here a year and a half
Expert:  Aaron replied 6 months ago.
I see. Well it does not hurt to look while you work. You can consider looking for other jobs while working. If you find something better, you can switch. If you simply cannot stand your boss at all and have severe anxiety over it, then perhaps a temp job would be better than a full time job even given the loss in the pay, benefits, resume information. It is your choice, of course. But consider what I had stated about accumulated leave and/or FMLA as well - that can be a source of some relief without having to simply quit. I wish you the best. Good luck, and please do not forget to rate positively and submit your rating (or to reply and chat more if you need to).