Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineering Hons degree, been working in automotive industry for the last 18 years - Engine development engineer

I am a 59 year old middle/ gh school math and science

Customer Question

I am a 59 year old middle/ high school math and science teacher attempting a career change to an engineering technology type position. I recently applied for a position as a material testing technician for the City of Los Angeles. I took a written exam and was notified that as a result of my exam score, I qualified for an interview. I earned a mechanical engineering degree in 1979 and I have 4+ years of practical engineering experience, but I haven't worked in an engineering related position in over thirty years. How do I mitigate antiquated degree and experience and ace this interview?
Category: Job
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

the degree is the 'key' to the door and to be honest you tend not to use almost any of it once in the job, and any degree tend to have a 'half life' of about 5 years anyway so don't worry that your qualification is a long time ago

when I've interviewed people I tend to ask questions to gauge how the person thinks and how they approach a problem

expect to be given a couple of technical questions to solve a problem whilst in the interview so your teaching experience should serve you well here

it would be worth reading up on the latest manufacturing techniques with 5 axis machining, rapid prototype methods etc and obviously research the company